Friday, March 18, 2011

Hush, Hush

Patch's eyes were black orbs. Taking in everything and giving away nothing. Not that I wanted to know more about Patch. Since I hadn't liked what I'd seen on the surface, I doubted I'd like what was lurking deep inside.


One section that I have not gone near in young-adult fiction is Paranormal Romance. Are you aware that it has its own section in bookstores now? It's under that title. Paranormal Romance. Seriously. A whole set of shelves dedicated to vampires and werewolfs and other things of that sort.

Thank you, Twilight.

Please note the sarcasm in those typed words.

Besides all of the vampire series, one thing that I have noticed growing steadily in popularity with teenage girls are book series written about fallen angels. It's not too big yet, but I can see it being very much so in the future.

I absolutely refuse to read anything that centers around vampires, but I'd heard things from different people about this whole fallen angels idea, so I decided to give it a shot. It seemed like an okay idea at the time.

I am now a much wiser person and see the foolishness in this notion of mine.




I decided that as good a place as any to start would be with the book Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.

A few factors went into choosing this particular book. A main point in its favor was the cover. I would want to own this book without even reading it just so I could have it sitting prettily on my bookshelf. The picture is haunting and mysterious and it makes one want to at least look at the back cover to see what it's about.

The name also intrigued me. It's so vague. Hush, Hush. Well, that could mean anything! It again makes a person wonder what the book could possibly be about.

Another factor was the number of people that I knew that had read it. I'd heard that it was good from one person and didn't think to ask the opinions of anybody else. One good review is all I need, right?

Wrong.

I opened the book and instantly, it had me hooked. Why? I don't know. The prologue was rather fascinating, perhaps that was why.

But everything after that: not so much.

The book is told in first person, from the main character (obviously), Nora Grey's, point of view.

Nora is a sophomore in high school. After the seating arrangements have been switched around in biology class, she gets paired with a boy named Patch, who turns out to be a fallen angel.

Okay, seriously. Patch? Patch? It sounds like a name for a puppy or something; not for an apparently mega-hot guy in your class at school.

Nora constantly proved to have little to no good judgment. Patch is continually sexually inappropriate around her, and she does nothing to stop him. He stalks her, and she doesn't say a thing. She even goes as far as to allow him to invite himself into her house while she's home alone.

So, apparently, if your stalker is good-looking, he's totally cool and stuff, and there's no way he would take advantage of you, because he's so hot.

Haha. Hahahahaha.

I will give this book one thing: It was incredibly suspenseful. That is probably the sole reason I pushed through and finished the book out; I wanted to know what was going to happen next.

I will admit, though, that the climax was actually rather disappointing. Don't read with too high hopes in way of plot.

So, there's seven hours of my life I'll never get back.

And the moral of this story is:

Paranormal Romance is a waste of time, whether it has to do with vampires or not.

In my humble opinion, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment